If you are renting the Captain Morse House you can host a spectacular event in our large backyard. When your entire party can stay under one roof for lodging and the event you can really enjoy each others company.
We’ve had weddings, clambakes, corporate retreats, family reunions, golf outings, birthdays and anniversaries. Your event will be one to remember whether under our three beautiful linden trees on the lawn or a Sperry Tent with a dance floor.
The Captain Morse House has one of Edgartown’s largest backyards. It is almost four feet above the street grade which allows for very nice views to the east down Morse St. to the water as well as west for the sunset. Capture spectacular photographs using just thenatural light at the end of the day.
The home is located in a residential neighborhood and so noise is an important consideration. Your guests should be saying their goodbyes around 10:00 pm with the house quiet by 11:00 pm. For late night entertainment, there are several good places downtown within easy walking distance. All events that go beyond having a few friends over may be subject to an event charge and an additional security deposit.
Events we are perfect for:
- Smaller wedding ceremonies
- Receptions that end by 11 pm
- Rehearsal dinner
- Post wedding brunches
- Lodging for the parents of the bride, their close friends, and the bridal party
- Clambakes or dinner catered by one of the excellent caterers on the island
- Large cocktail parties
Events we are not well suited for:
- Large wedding ceremonies or receptions with guests are well over 100
- Late night receptions
- Bachelor or bachelorette parties
- Loud bands in which the music would upset the neighbors
We recommend the Daniel Fisher House and the Wharf Pub for larger and later events
- Usage of the house and patio for an event – $500
- Setup of a bar and tables > than 50 people – $1,000
- Setup of a bar and tables > than 100 people – $3,000
- Full program with a tent or up to 150 (max) – $5,000 +
- Additional security deposit required
- Any setup on the lawn requires a tent floor be installed – not included
Events can be held at the house, just let us know what you have in mind. If you want to have an event at the house and incorporate a very late night wild time, consider doing the party in stages with the guests at the house for the formal early afternoon and evening event and then a staged move to a downtown venue where the party can run until the wee hours.
The use of the house for any form of large party or entertainment including more than the people staying at the house needs to be approved in advance.
Below is a list of the information you will need to gather before filling out the Event Application Form. The application, when co-signed by the landlord and tenant, provides a modification to the Property Lease Section 1.
- How many people will stay at the house and for how many days?
- What are the ages approximately? Adults, teenagers, children.
- How many people will attend the event?
- Do you anticipate having any people inside during the party and if so how many?
- What hours do you want to have the party from and to? What is the schedule of events?
- What type of equipment will you want to bring into the backyard or house?
- If a tent is required the maximum that can be used is a 32′ x 70′ and should be provided by Big Sky Tent.
- Are you using a party planner and if so who?
- Do you plan to have music or a live band?
- Who is the caterer?
- Who is the photographer? Photographer shall provide VCJ Property 5+ quality photos of the event and of the completed site prior to the arrival of guests.
- Event Liability Insurance of $3,000,000 shall be purchased by the tenant and name VCJ Property, LLC as co-insured. Contact your insurance agent or review this website www.wedsafe.com
Terms and Conditions
A lot of rules but all designed to protect the home. The home can provide a wonderful and memorable evening for the right group and use.
- No event will be allowed that has not received permission from the landlord 60 days before the start of the lease
- The backyard can accommodate a tent up to 32′ x 70′ which will hold 100-125 for a sit-down dinner or 200 (max) for a cocktail party
- This property is in a residential neighborhood. Town noise ordinances are strictly enforced. Events must be respectful. Any music must end according to town ordinance at 10 pm. Music must be played at a moderate volume. Guests should be leaving by 9:30 pm with all guests gone and the house (especially outdoor areas) quiet by 10:00 pm
- All material provided for the event including all household trash shall be properly secured and then removed from the premises by noon the day after the event
- If dancing is planned then tenant shall install a dance floor. The lawn must be kept in good condition for the next tenant. Heavy foot traffic must not be allowed to occur without suitable protection of the lawn
- Your caterer is required to file a Special Event Caterer Reporting Form with the Edgartown Board of Health
- Tenant and tenant’s vendors shall take sole responsibility for complying with all laws
- Event guests are not permitted to use the interior of the house. For more than 50 people on premises, a portable toilet must be placed in the driveway for guest’s use
- Maximum Occupancy of the property is not to exceed 200 people at any time.
- This is a no smoking property.
- There is no onsite parking.
- Tenant gives Landlord permission to communicate directly with your event suppliers about the event.
All terms and conditions subject to change without notice