The Captain Morse House is the perfect venue to host your wedding.
Our large lawn and patio can accommodate up to 150 standing and 100 people seated.
Your guests or wedding party can relax in our large 12 bedroom home sleeping 26
Host your main event under our three magnificent Lindens or under a magical Sperry Tent
Host everything or just selected events like a rehearsal dinner or farewell brunch.
Reunions and Retreats
The Captain Morse House is the perfect place to bring together classmates, family or team members.
You can really connect when all your guests tay under one roof.
Don’t want that mch closeness? Divide up the house into the East and West Wing; Easy Peasy!
We’ve had all sorts of weddings, vow renewals, celebrations, clambakes, corporate retreats, family reunions, golf outings, birthdays , anniversaries, you name it. Your event will be one to remember whether under our three beautiful linden trees (the biggest in Edgartown) or under a custom Sperry Tent. The Captain Morse House has one of Edgartown’s largest backyards. It is almost four feet above the street grade which allows for great views down Morse St. to the harbor and west for the sunset. Photographers love our natural light at the end of the day.
We can comfortably host 100 for a sit-down dinner and 150 for a stand-up cocktail party. You can place a beautiful 32′ x 70′ Sperry Tent in the yard. You can select a Tent from several of the Island’s premier party planning headquarters. See pictures from previous events here. We have pre-installed tent anchors to improve the look of the installation and reduce clutter. We also have a separate 100 amp electrical service to the backyard to support tent lighting, heat, catering, music, and entertainment.
Events can run until 10:00 pm with the house quiet by 11:00 pm. For late-night entertainment, there are several great places downtown within easy walking distance like the Wharf Pub, Atlantic, the Port Hunter, and the Seafood Shanty.
Events we are perfect for:
- Wedding ceremonies
- Rehearsal dinner
- Post wedding brunches
- Corporate Retreats
- Cocktail Parties
- Lodging for the wedding party
- Clambakes and dinners
- Fund Raisers
Events we are a bit small for
- Large wedding or events with guests over 150
- Late night parties
- Bachelor or Bachelorette parties
- Late loud music or dancing because we are in a residential neighborhood.
Rate Guide for Events
- Patio event for less than 30 people – no installations on the lawn – No Charge
- Patio event for 30 to 50 people – no installations on the lawn – $500
- Lawn setup of a bar and tables for 50 to 100 people – $1,500
- Lawn setup of a bar and tables for 100 to 150 people – $3,000
- Erect a tent and floor on the lawn – $1,500
- An event security deposit equal to the event fee
- Setups on the lawn require a floor to be installed to protect the lawn.
- All events over 50 people require a separate comfort facility.
- To reduce fees, these amounts are not considered rent. They are the best guess estimate of the wear and tear beyond what is normal that the property will endure as a result of an event.
Comparable Wedding Venues
We do not rent the house out for just one day. We are primarily a vacation rental that occasionally does events, not the other way around. The use of the house for any form of large party or entertainment including more than the people staying at the house needs to be approved in advance.
Below is a list of the information you will need to gather before filling out the Event Application Form. The application, when co-signed by the landlord and tenant, provides a modification to the Property Lease Section 1.
Here is a link to Edgartown Applications and Permits you may need. It is up to the Tenant to ensure that all permits are received in a timely manner. We suggest at least 180 days before your event and a minimum of 90 days.
- How many people will stay at the house and for how many days?
- What are the ages approximately? Adults, teenagers, children.
- How many people will attend the event?
- Do you anticipate having any people inside during the party and if so how many?
- What hours do you want to have the party from and to? What is the schedule of events?
- What type of equipment will you want to bring into the backyard or house?
- If a tent is required the maximum that can be used is a 32′ x 70′ and should be provided by Big Sky Tent.
- Are you using a party planner and if so who?
- Do you plan to have music or a live band?
- Who is the caterer?
- Who is the photographer? Photographer shall provide VCJ Property 5+ quality photos of the event and of the completed site prior to the arrival of guests.
- Event Liability Insurance of $3,000,000 shall be purchased by the tenant and name VCJ Property, LLC as co-insured. Contact your insurance agent or review this website www.wedsafe.com
Terms and Conditions
A lot of rules but all designed to protect the home. The home can provide a wonderful and memorable evening for the right group and use.
- No event will be allowed that has not received permission from the landlord 60 days before the start of the lease
- The backyard can accommodate a tent up to 32′ x 70′ which will hold 100-125 for a sit-down dinner or 200 (max) for a cocktail party
- This property is in a residential neighborhood. Town noise ordinances are strictly enforced. Events must be respectful. Any music must end according to town ordinance at 10 pm. Music must be played at a moderate volume. Guests should be leaving by 9:30 pm with all guests gone and the house (especially outdoor areas) quiet by 10:00 pm
- All material provided for the event including all household trash shall be properly secured and then removed from the premises by noon the day after the event
- If dancing is planned then tenant shall install a dance floor. The lawn must be kept in good condition for the next tenant. Heavy foot traffic must not be allowed to occur without suitable protection of the lawn
- Your caterer is required to file a Special Event Caterer Reporting Form with the Edgartown Board of Health
- Tenant and tenant’s vendors shall take sole responsibility for complying with all laws
- Event guests are not permitted to use the interior of the house. For more than 50 people on premises, a portable toilet must be placed in the driveway for guest’s use
- Maximum Occupancy of the property is not to exceed 200 people at any time.
- This is a no smoking property.
- There is no onsite parking.
- Tenant gives Landlord permission to communicate directly with your event suppliers about the event.
All terms and conditions subject to change without notice
For event planning ideas Google Martha’s Vineyard Weddings
ALso see this link for general providers: MVOL-Weddings
Recent Wedding Vendors
Also consult with your own insurance agent