Frequently Asked Questions
Reservations, Rates and Booking Information
- The fastest way to book a stay is to fill out the contact form.
- Rates are based on an occupancy of 16 or less. When the house is maxed out we may require a small surcharge depending on the time of year.
- Additional guests are $50 per night per person. Contact me for a detailed quote though as nothing is set in stone and all is negotiable.
- Guests are encouraged to #bookdirect with us. The use of third parties such as Realtors, Travel Agents, Airbnb, VRBO, and HomeAway may result in added fees.
- The typical stay is one week. Long weekends in the off season are around 2/3 of the weekly rate. Wedding parties in spring and fall will often take the property from Wednesday until Tuesday the following week.
- The security deposit is normally $3,000. Special events and wedding parties are subject to a higher deposit, typically $5,000 – more info.
- The estimated cleaning fee is $800. We will lower that for smaller groups. This includes all towels and linens. All the beds are made on arrival.
- Animals are discouraged for the comfort and safety of all our tenants. You can read about just why we think your animal is better left at home Here.
- All reservations made within 90 days of a lease start date are subject to a tenant application and reference checks.
- Check-in is at 3 pm and check-out is at 10 am on a Sunday. Special times can be accommodated only with advance notice.
- Check out our discussion of Affordability. We compare favorably with the local hotels.
- Sharing the cost of the house among friends? Check out my suggestions.
- Off-season Only – Here are our shared room rates.
- All rates, terms, and availability are subject to change without notice. Your terms are confirmed only after a lease and payment have been received.
Cancellation Policy and how to protect yourself
Our cancellation policy is outlined in the lease and is somewhat strict. This is due to the fact that our house is typically booked well in advance. Sometimes up to a year. It is very hard to book the house if it becomes available at the last minute. For example in May of 2019 we had a last minute cancellation for August 11-18. So far( June 2019) no bites on this prime week.I strongly encourage our guests to purchase travel insurance to protect not just your rental lease but your other travel plans.As a convenience to our guests our website lists some places for insurance. You can also purchase it from a link that Owner Reservations uses which will be part of the email you get when you start the booking process.Note some insurance only covers you if there is a medical emergency. None will insure you for a foreseeable event.Some credit cards will include insurance as part of the annual fee.
- We offer Travel Insurance when you check out and the quote is calculated off of the cost of your booking.
- You can also buy your own separately– click here – Also see Allianz and AIG
- Generali works with several VR rental sites https://www.generalitravelinsurance.com/
- Comparison websites for insurance shopping – https://www.travelinsurance.
com/ and https://www. squaremouth.com
Lease Language as of June 201915. If it is necessary for TENANT to cancel a reservation TENANT must notify VCJ Property, LLC by certified mail or by email properly replied to by VCJ Property, LLC. If the term of this lease can be re-rented for the same amount of rent, TENANT will receive a refund from the LANDLORD, less a cancellation fee of 25% of the total rent due for the term. If the term cannot be re-rented for the same rent then TENANT is still responsible for and required to pay the entire rent due less any rent collected for any period during the term. TENANT should purchase insurance to cover their trip against cancellation or travel interruption.
If LANDLORD has provided a “Right of First Refusal” to another party, such as prior tenant, and TENANT has given a deposit less than 1/3 of the total amount due then LANDLORD may cancel this agreement within seven days of receipt of both this signed lease and the 1st Payment due. If so cancelled then all funds paid to LANDLORD shall be promptly returned to the TENANT.
With all that said we try never to have a cancellation. We will work hard to fill any cancelled dates and try to make our guests whole as best we can.
Q: How many couples do you have double beds for?
A: Up to eight couples can have double bed accommodations. There are 4 rooms with double beds on the second floor. One the first floor there is a queen with en-suite bath and a front room with a very comfortable pull out queen bed. On the top floor there is a Queen bed. We do not allow beds to be moved together. If you need more double beds we have the ability to add three Full Size beds to the 3rd floor. We are just waiting for the right tenant to make this change. Ask and we will certainly give this consideration.
Q: Is the house appropriate for kids?
A: Yes and no. My brother and I grew up in the house from the age of 1 and visited the house with our two boys from that age as well. We were all pretty active and energetic (boys) but we didn’t break things or draw on the walls. If your kids are generally described as wild animals and need constant supervision then this is probably not the house for you. You will find yourself being a guard rather than enjoying your stay. Perhaps bringing a caregiver might be the answer. The right frame of mind is pretend that you are visiting Grandma and Grandpa. Other things to keep in mind: tall stairs that are not safe for kids. Upper porches that are not to code and need to be kept secure with provided hooks. The house is on a busy corner and a ambitious unsupervised toddler could wander off the property. With all that said two generations of Johnson’s have survived and loved the house.
Q: Are the better rates available on other websites?
A: No – you are dealing directly with the owner and can negotiate terms that are the most favorable. There will also be no additional 3rd party fees or credit card charges. We use Airbnb, VRBO, Home Away and other “middlemen” sites to bring business to us but their algorithms are very difficult to get to quote accurately. $1,500 is our default rate but this low rate applies only to off season rentals. For example 3 days in April or November. Our lowest rates are $700 per night for a week during the off season. In the summer there is only the weekly rate available. If you want to stay for three or four days you may want to extend your stay as those extra three or four days are practically free.
Q: What does the cleaning fee cover?
A: We charge an upfront estimated cleaning fee of roughly $50 per person. Most people pay $800 for cleaning. When you arrive the house is completely ready to go with all of the beds made and towels in the bathrooms. Due to the size of the house there will probably still be a cleaner working in the laundry to finish the sheets and towels. The estimated cleaning fee is to return the house back to the condition it was at the beginning of the lease. Additional cleaning can be arranged directly with our cleaning service. This is typical of vacation rental homes. Any additional cleaning required will be deducted from your security deposit.
Q: How Much Parking is there?
A: You can park 3 large cars and 4 smaller cars at the house. We have a very narrow driveway since cars did not exist when the house was built. Only experienced drivers should park the car up the driveway. Honestly you do not need that many cars on island and should leave as many on the mainland as you can. We have people who do not bring a car at all. Most everything is within walking distance and the Taxi service is excellent. The local taxi companies mostly use vans (11 to 14 passengers) so you can move all at once, say to a restaurant. The local police are strict on DUI so don’t take the chance. There is also Uber on the island and many are using this popular service. A discussion on parking at the house is in our house manual.
If you must bring extra cars you can park up at the Harbor View hotel where you may need to tip the staff for valet parking.
Q: Can I bring a pet or animal?
Q: What is an Honor Bar
Q: What is the weather like?
Q: How are Security Deposits handled?
Nothing can cause more heartburn than security deposits. I have found that regardless of the cause of a charge for damage each tenant will have a very different reaction. For some it is no big deal, for some it is treated as a personal insult. Let me give you a little background in order to put your mind at ease.
If you think about it having 20 or more guests in your house means 20 people that you cannot control yet are responsible for. You know what you did but do you know what those friends or distant cousins did? Be assured that I have given this subject a lot of thought and strive to be as transparent and fair as I can. More Detailed Information is available here: Security Deposit Info
Q: Can I use an insurance program for my Security Deposit?
You can use insurance to protect yourself from inadvertent damage. This is up to your to purchase this for yourself. We still require a security deposit of $3,000 that is paid in advance. Special events and wedding parties are subject to a higher deposit, typically $5,000. Detailed Information is available here: Security Deposit Info
Q: How do I host an event at the house
A: Any event at the house that is less than 30 people total requires no notice or permission. Events over this amount can be held but you should let me know so you don’t inadvertently violate the terms of your lease which states the “Premises shall be used for living purposes only and shall not be used for large events, corporate functions, meetings, receptions, parties or any other similar event involving more than 25 people unless approved in writing by the LANDLORD.”