See all the Captain Morse House has to offer and plan your trip to Martha’s Vinyard.
The Captain Morse House is great at accommodating groups, from family vacations and reunions to weddings and corporate retreats. The home is spacious, with a variety of bedrooms and social spaces to make your time in the house relaxing and plenty amenities to help you enjoy the island life, whatever that means to you. We also have compiled a list of our favorite vendors and activities on Martha’s Vineyard.
Square Footage: full house 10,000, front 8,400, back 1,600. Typical rental is the entire house.
The best bedrooms are located on the first and second floor and can accommodate 13 people. The loft in the back of the house and the 4 bedrooms on the 3rd floor are ideal for younger members of your party.
The home features 11 bedrooms and 7 baths on three floors, a formal living room, and dining room, two family room/game rooms, and two new gourmet kitchens all tastefully decorated with period furnishings and artwork. The home has new central air-conditioning, heat and hot water systems and appliances. Outside you will enjoy 2 spacious porches with water views of Edgartown Harbor. Our backyard garden is one of the most spacious in Edgartown and features a bricked patio with seating for 10. Featuring a barbecue, croquet, and an outdoor shower. There is off street parking for three to four cars. We can accommodate up to 25 people, yet the house is gracious for a family as well and is regularly rented for people who want to spread out. For example, my family of 4 lived comfortably in the home from 1955 until 2007. We are committed to doing whatever we can to make your stay in our family home on Martha’s Vineyard a special one. We think that our house is the best in town and offers any visitor a truly unique and authentic island experience. Judging from our sellouts over the last 10-years of operation, our guests agree.
First Floor – 7 rooms and 2 baths
- Front Living Room with access to the front porch
- Family Room with TV and stereo
- Main Dining Room – seats 8
- Large Front Kitchen
- Back Galley Kitchen
- Back Living Room and Dining room area – seats 8
- Back bedroom with queen and en-suite bath near the garden. (Back Bedroom – 11)
Second Floor – 7 rooms and 4 baths
- Master – Queen bed off the front porch, fireplace, elevator (Master – 1)
- Two Twin beds off the front porch, fireplace (Cat Room – 2)
- Queen bed with fireplace (Dressing Room – 3)
- King bed or two twins (extra long) with fireplace (Middle – 4*)
- King bed or two twins (extra long) (Green – 5*)
- Twin bed with garden view – best for a child (Garden – 6)
- Loft with three bunks on the second floor (Bunk Room)
*can be made up as two twins or a king. There are 3 queen beds and two king beds. Bedroom 4 and 5 have extra long twin beds that are designed to make California Kings so if you have couples that want double beds you can accommodate five of them. Please specify in advance if you want them made up as kings.
Third Floor – 5 rooms and 1 bath
The Captain Morse House has lots of great amenities to ensure your stay is relaxing and enjoyable. Extra linens, two entertainment centers, full house WiFi, 4 zone HVAC, and bicycles. The house has what you need to entertain your family and guests. Whether you want to go for a bike ride downtown, watch the boats sail through the harbor, host a cocktail hour in the garden or a formal dinner in the dining rooms, or even set up a temporary office, this house has you covered. The house is also handicapped accessible with an elevator.
- Waterview, waterfront, docks
- Large backyard garden with a 35′ by 62′ lawn
- Bull BBQ grill and rotisserie
- Large patio with seating for 20
- Two new large teak tables (8 people each) and one round glass table
- Two large market umbrellas for patio
- Two front porches
- Outside shower with hot and cold water and foot rinse
- Bicycles – 3 are GT hybrids – assorted bikes
- Beach chairs, coolers, beach umbrella (limited supply)
- Separate 100 amp service for events
- Pre-positioned tent anchors to support up to a 32′ x 70′ tent
- 2 Samsung HD TV’s with surround sound system
- Denon AVR X2000 video receiver with AirPlay – driving 4 separate zones of speakers controllable via an iPhone APP.
- Complete Audio & Video Instruction Sheet
- Apple TV in the front media room
- Amazon Fire Stick in back living room
- Two Sony DVD players
- Sirius XM – Pandora – Spotify
- Two Xfinity Cable Boxes with premium channels and DVRs to record your favorite shows
- Beds are made prior to your arrival with fresh linens
- Our quality sheets and towels laundered on the premises
- Extra blankets comforters and pillows are available in several closets on each floor
- Extra bath and beach towels are located in the bathroom closet outside middle bedroom #4
- Yoga mats in second-floor bedrooms
- Central Heat & Air Conditioning throughout with 4 zones
- Vacuum and household supplies in the front hall
- Iron and ironing board
- Cosmetic mirror in the front first-floor bathroom
- Box fans in most bedrooms
- Limited quantities of soap, shampoo, conditioner and toilet paper are provided. Guests should bring their own preferred personal toiletries
- Two Complete full kitchens with the following:
- Ranges (Bertazoni five burner 36″ and Maytag 30″), dishwashers, microwaves
- Coffee makers, lobster pots, toasters, blenders
- Mix Master, mixing bowls, large selection of baking accessories and baking tins
- Two complete sets of kitchen utensils
- Two complete sets of high-end kitchen knives with sharpeners
- Wine glasses, water glasses, cocktail glasses
- Complete selection of spices, oil, sugar, vinegar and kitchen basics (check the house before you shop)
- One Keurig K545 Plus Coffee Maker Single Serve 2.0 Brewing System (K-Cups not included)
- Limited quantities of paper towels, napkins and dish-washing liquid and detergent are provided
- Comcast high-speed internet (13ms Ping – 65 Mbps down – 6 mbs up as of 10/17) – Internet not guaranteed
- One Linksys AC1900 Dual Band Open Source WiFi Wireless Router (WRT1900ACS) new 2017
- One NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX7000-100NAS) new 2017
- One Canon Compact TS6020 Wireless Home Inkjet All-in-One Printer, Copier & Scanner new 2017
- Land Line 508-627-4895 with free nationwide calling
- Cell phones work in the home!
If you are renting the Captain Morse House you can host a spectacular event in our large backyard. When your entire party can stay under one roof for lodging and the event you can really enjoy each others company.
We’ve had weddings, clambakes, corporate retreats, family reunions, golf outings, birthdays and anniversaries. Your event will be one to remember whether under our three beautiful linden trees on the lawn or a Sperry Tent with a dance floor.
The Captain Morse House has one of Edgartown’s largest backyards. It is almost four feet above the street grade which allows for very nice views to the east down Morse St. to the water as well as west for the sunset. Capture spectacular photographs using just thenatural light at the end of the day.
We can accommodate up to 120 for a sit-down dinner and up to 200 for a stand-up cocktail party. Your plans for bands, dance floors etc. will affect that number. We have installed a separate 100 amp electrical service to the backyard to support tent lighting, catering, music, and entertainment. You can place a beautiful 32′ x 70′ Sperry Tent in the yard. All of our tents are provided by Big Sky Tent the Island’s premier party planning headquarters. See pictures from previous events here.
The home is located in a residential neighborhood and so noise is an important consideration. Your guests should be saying their goodbyes around 10:00 pm with the house quiet by 11:00 pm. For late night entertainment, there are several good places downtown within easy walking distance. All events that go beyond having a few friends over may be subject to an event charge and an additional security deposit.
Events we are perfect for:
- Smaller wedding ceremonies
- Receptions that end by 11 pm
- Rehearsal dinner
- Post wedding brunches
- Lodging for the parents of the bride, their close friends, and the bridal party
- Clambakes or dinner catered by one of the excellent caterers on the island
- Large cocktail parties
Events we are not well suited for:
- Large wedding ceremonies or receptions with guests are well over 100
- Late night receptions
- Bachelor or bachelorette parties
- Loud bands in which the music would upset the neighbors
We recommend the Daniel Fisher House and the Wharf Pub for larger and later events
- Usage of the house and patio for an event – $500
- Setup of a bar and tables > than 50 people – $1,000
- Setup of a bar and tables > than 100 people – $3,000
- Full program with a tent or up to 150 (max) – $5,000 +
- Additional security deposit required
- Any setup on the lawn requires a tent floor be installed – not included
Events can be held at the house, just let us know what you have in mind. If you want to have an event at the house and incorporate a very late night wild time, consider doing the party in stages with the guests at the house for the formal early afternoon and evening event and then a staged move to a downtown venue where the party can run until the wee hours.
The use of the house for any form of large party or entertainment including more than the people staying at the house needs to be approved in advance.
Below is a list of the information you will need to gather before filling out the Event Application Form. The application, when co-signed by the landlord and tenant, provides a modification to the Property Lease Section 1.
- How many people will stay at the house and for how many days?
- What are the ages approximately? Adults, teenagers, children.
- How many people will attend the event?
- Do you anticipate having any people inside during the party and if so how many?
- What hours do you want to have the party from and to? What is the schedule of events?
- What type of equipment will you want to bring into the backyard or house?
- If a tent is required the maximum that can be used is a 32′ x 70′ and should be provided by Big Sky Tent.
- Are you using a party planner and if so who?
- Do you plan to have music or a live band?
- Who is the caterer?
- Who is the photographer? Photographer shall provide VCJ Property 5+ quality photos of the event and of the completed site prior to the arrival of guests.
- Event Liability Insurance of $3,000,000 shall be purchased by the tenant and name VCJ Property, LLC as co-insured. Contact your insurance agent or review this website www.wedsafe.com
Terms and Conditions
A lot of rules but all designed to protect the home. The home can provide a wonderful and memorable evening for the right group and use.
- No event will be allowed that has not received permission from the landlord 60 days before the start of the lease
- The backyard can accommodate a tent up to 32′ x 70′ which will hold 100-125 for a sit-down dinner or 200 (max) for a cocktail party
- This property is in a residential neighborhood. Town noise ordinances are strictly enforced. Events must be respectful. Any music must end according to town ordinance at 10 pm. Music must be played at a moderate volume. Guests should be leaving by 9:30 pm with all guests gone and the house (especially outdoor areas) quiet by 10:00 pm
- All material provided for the event including all household trash shall be properly secured and then removed from the premises by noon the day after the event
- If dancing is planned then tenant shall install a dance floor. The lawn must be kept in good condition for the next tenant. Heavy foot traffic must not be allowed to occur without suitable protection of the lawn
- Your caterer is required to file a Special Event Caterer Reporting Form with the Edgartown Board of Health
- Tenant and tenant’s vendors shall take sole responsibility for complying with all laws
- Event guests are not permitted to use the interior of the house. For more than 50 people on premises, a portable toilet must be placed in the driveway for guest’s use
- Maximum Occupancy of the property is not to exceed 200 people at any time.
- This is a no smoking property.
- There is no onsite parking.
- Tenant gives Landlord permission to communicate directly with your event suppliers about the event.
All terms and conditions subject to change without notice
Our top recommendations for Martha’s Vineyard and Edgartown
- General Information
- Baby Sitters
- Event Planning
- Private Chefs
- Grocery Stores
- Pool & Gym
- Boating, Fishing & Water-sports
The best source is the bulletin boards in town and the internet at MV Online (see MVOL).
Here are some sources I found that are not on MVOL
Classical concerts are held at the old Whaling Church on Mian street but they haven’t posted a schedule yet.
The Martha’s Vineyard Ticket and Event siteplays there.
If you want to hire a group for a in house concert these folks might do the trick
Most of the music is for a younger group but this venue has more classic music.
Live music at the Katharine Cornell Theater, VH.
The Tabernacle in Oak Bluffs has music. I saw Arlo Guthrie there.
Island Theater Workshop: Year-round community theater, VH.
Vineyard Playhouse: Mainstage summer productions, holiday shows, Shakespeare for the Masses, dramatic readings. Seasonal at the Amphitheater: The Fabulists for Children, Shakespeare, VH.
The Yard (seasonal): Modern & classical dance, opera and theater, CH.
Best Greasy Spoon – Dock Street Coffee Shop
Best Local Fine Dining & Seafood – Square Rigger
Great Coffee a walk away – Espresso Love
Best Late Night Night Cap (good food too) – Alchemy
Best Brews on Tap & Burgers – Newes From America
Out of Edgartown
Casual Spot (Oak Bluffs) – Slice of Life
Best Breakfast & Lunch (Vineyard Haven) – Art Cliff Diner
Best Seafood (Menemsha) – Larsens Lunch on a Lobster Trap – Classic MV
Best Seafood (VH) – Net Result
Here are some sources – * indicates they have worked at the house before
Jan Burnham* – Kitchen Porch
Winner of the 2014 MV wild food challenge
Best use of local ingredients 2016 MV wild food challenge
from off island – live in or stay nearby
“Artfully uniting extraordinary people with extraordinary food”
Créatif – Private Chefs & Catering
Chilmark, MA, United States · +1 617-233-0880
Local Favorites of our family
Julie Moffet* – <email@example.com> 508-364-8968
Island Bartenders* – John Moffet 508-364-8968 – Ken Chisholm 774 327 9034
Raw Bar – Old Time Shucking – James Hoe* – 508-696-9608
See this link for more recommendations
The Classic Choice – Bill Smith
There are many farmers markets on the island. The local spots we use are listed at this link:
Stop & Shop – (suggest shop early am to avoid the crowds) 222 Upper Main Street – 508-627-9522
Edgartown Meat & Fish Market – New at the triangle with great selections – 240 Edgartown Vineyard Haven Road, Edgartown, MA 02539 508-627-6200
Edgartown Seafood Market – Good local Seafood Market – 138 Cooke St. (near 100 Main St.) 508-627-3791
Al’s Package Store – the locals shop – 258 Upper Main St , – (508) 627-4347
Great Harbor Gourmet & Spirits – 40 Main St. – (508) 627-4390
Town Provision – close to house – 12 Mayhew Lane – (508) 627-7557
Morning Glory Farm – just out of Edgartown on the Edgartown-West Tisbury Road (508) 627-9003
Fruits and vegetables, corn, herbs, beef, eggs, pies and baked goods, plants.
Mon-Sat 9-6, Sunday 10-5.
Reliable Market Oak Bluffs– Family owned grocery that is getting a lot of buzz for fresh island goods.
36 Circuit Ave, Oak Bluffs, MA 02568 508-693-1102
West Tisbury Farmers’ Market
Brings the farmers and their goods to you at the Old Agricultural Hall on South Road in the center of West Tisbury, by Alley’s General.
Open seasonally Saturday from 9 a.m.-noon and Wednesday from 3-6 p.m.
The pool is 75 feet by 6 lanes and is kept at 83 degrees
You can get an individual week long membership for $75. A family membership is $110 for two adults and unlimited number of kids.
If you are already a member of a YMCA you can use the facility for $10 a day. Easy to get to and the closest to the house
The Mansion house in Vineyard Haven has an indoor pool and workout center.
This is a bit harder to get to in the summer due to the traffic. It is right in downtown Vineyard Haven.
The pool is 75 feet by 3 lanes and is kept at 83 degrees
The Airport workout and vineyard tennis center is just a workout center. It is near the airport.
Recommended Fishing Charters
Boating and fishing information
Sail Martha’s Vineyard
Windsurfing – kayaking – sailboats
Edgartown Classic Sailing on “Magic Carpet” 508-627-2889 (best to reach by phone) *
Cat Boat Charters in Edgartown 508-524-6903 Kurt Petersen
Mad Max Marina Catamaran Sailing *
Sail & Motor Boat Rentals – Island Water Sports 508-693-7767 office 508-693-5884 off-season
Sail, Kayak & small boat rentals– Winds Up 508-693-4252
Para-Sail and Motor Boat rentals – A1 MV Oceansports 508-627-2838 or 693-8476
We are on the eastern side of the island of Martha’s Vineyard in the historic town of Edgartown. The house is 3 blocks north of Main Street in Edgartown on Morse St.
Location 80 North Water Street Edgartown, MA 02539
Latitude: 41.391813 N, Longitude: -70,513644 W
- Town: 3 Blocks to Main Street – about a 1,000 feet (See Map Below)
- Beaches: 1 block and ferry ride to Chappy Beach / 2 Blocks to Lighthouse Beach / 3 Blocks to Fuller St. Beach / 2 miles to State Beach / 3.5 miles to South Beach
- Nearest Airport: Martha’s Vineyard Airport, West Tisbury – 5.7 miles
- Nearest Ferry: Chappaquiddick Ferry – 3-minute walk at 0.2 miles
- Nearest Train: Amtrak Railroad in Boston MA – 3 hours via ferry at 86 miles
- Nearest Motorway: Beach Rd. to Oaks Bluffs or Vineyard Haven – 1.2 miles
- Nearest Bar/Pub: Harbor View Hotel – 4-minute walk at 0.2 miles
- Nearest Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain Ski Area – 4 hrs via ferry at 142 miles
- Nearest Public Golf: Vineyard Golf Club and others – 3 miles
- Nearest Restaurant: Harbor View Hotel – 4 minute walk at 0.2 Miles
Steps from Edgartown Harbor
There are views of Edgartown Harbor from the house and from both of our front porches. We are just 200 feet down Morse Street. The North Wharf is a center for launch service, fishing, dockage, moorings, and boating. Captain Morse used to keep his boats on The North Wharf so it truly is like having your very own dock! A morning stroll down to the wharf is a great way to start the day.
I grew up in the Captain Morse House with my parents and brother, my wife and I went on to raise two sons here. Take your family outside on Martha’s Vineyard, go sailing or fishing, play tennis or golf and go for a bike ride. We are pretty much experts on the Island and are happy to assist both the first time and seasoned Vineyard traveler.
Enjoy your stay and play in this historic rental home, I guarantee the making of fantastic memories.